Wednesday 26 June 2013

UNDER THE STAIRS

As minutes walked on, deep pockets of sleep started at the back of my eyes, enlarging, expanding until they threatened my grip on reason and consciousness. My head felt so heavy upon my shoulders that I was doubtful if it was my head at all. It weighed a ton. It didn't occur to me how feeble my struggle was in the face of this enemy. This enemy who offered me a state of insensibility that seemed such a sweet escape to oblivion.  I was tempted. My eyelids were drooping down, obscuring my view of the tree and the front door. I was certain I just needed to know where they came.  Only then I could finally give in. yet, moments later, sleep already won over the self, leading me by the nose to some place different from the cold wall and top base of the stairs. My head was haphazardly tilted to one side, my lower back numbed to excess, my feet cold and my mind in anarchic disconnections. I was in a deep stupor and at the mercy of my dreams. In dreams, I have often known, lucidity was a lost, absent gift. 
 
In this space, I felt the wings of the wind, the rush it gave me as it ran against my skin, sprinting from my arms and legs.  And I wanted to run forever just to feel the exhilaration that it gives me. Yet in pseudo-reality, a perpetual black cloud of anxiety continued to hover overhead. There was no arousal of recognition, yet the air grew heavy with the weight of it. I turned then to see a pair of white birds. It seemed a normal sight, but my stomach began to churn nervously until a shot thundered through the air, shattering the idyllic atmosphere that had barely started to envelop the space. I squinted my eyes to see the trespasser. A huge, beefy man with a holster strapped to his side and a gun in his hand. He was laughing, letting out loud roars of hilarity that made me inexplicably angry. When I turned back to see what had befallen the love birds, I was stunned. The two were bleeding, but only one had an apparent wound. As I shuffled closer, I was inextricably amazed and a little afraid of what I saw. The wound was profusely bleeding, but the harmed creature seemed to feel no pain. Instead, one looked incredulously healthy as the other, except for the crimson spots on their once pristine feathers. You wouldn't even know they've been shot at. 
 
However, I noticed something different. There was a wicked gleam visible in their eyes – a nasty sheen of malice and viciousness, even making them shine brighter. They started poking each other, their sharp beaks digging deep, the webbed feet coming up in the air to kick and injure. It was vile. The attacks demonstrated a nauseating display of cruelty to the self and to the opponent. They were bathing in an obscene parody of love, except that their embrace spelled death and destruction. And everywhere they went blood spurted, turning the battlefield into a graveyard. The space obliterated any reminder of the living world and I felt like someone suffocating and drowning without a lifeline in sight.  A desperation seized hold of me, strangling my neck like a hangman's noose. I knew I should have stopped them. But I couldn't even trod near them until the battle reached a crescendo, and so I, in my blotched self trembled at the edge to await the victor. 
 
The space started to fall away. It was stripped layer by layer, pulled from the sides of my brain. I was blinking the mist of sleep from my eyes, trying to ascertain what had pulled me from my alternate universe. I stood up rubbed my eyes, walked across the room to sleep.

No comments: